FLOOR IS LAVA
A procedural puzzle generator. Solve random word-find puzzles, forever.
A Twitter bot that posts illuminated Unicode characters.
A system of street signs presenting simple games that anyone can play while walking around the city. Installation for Market Street Prototyping Festival 2016.
San Francisco's long-running festival of real-world games and participatory art. Josh serves as artistic director and has presented numerous games.
A mobile word game that exercises vocabulary and spelling skills. Produced by Asymmetric for Touch Press Games; programming by Josh. Winner, Silver Medal at the 2015 Serious Play Awards.
A procedural MIDI sequencer controlled by a custom scripting language.
A lively team sport for people who don't need all the running around. Selected Best New Sport at Come Out & Play NYC 2014.
Draw in the real world to drive gameplay on your iPad. Produced by Tangible Play; design and programming by Josh.
A simple static site generator, written in python.
A mobile gravity game that doubles as a musical instrument; features procedurally generated graphics and audio.
A quick and chaotic playground game for crowds that can be played anywhere that aggressive miming is called for.
Make words in space on iOS or the Kindle Fire. Produced by Caper Academy with UI and puzzle design by Floor Is Lava.
Connect the dots to make shapes and solve puzzles.
A "dice" game for Sifteo Cubes featuring procedural art. Produced by Floor Is Lava for Sifteo.
Create musical flowers on your iPhone or iPad.
- 31 Jan 2017
- Wordfindatron is a web toy that provides random word-find puzzles on demand. (You can also check out the @wordfindatron Twitter bot.)
- 04 Jan 2017
- We've posted a brief report on our 2016 Year in Review. A lot happened!
- 06 Oct 2016
- Masterswords is now available in the App Store from Touch Press Games. (Programming and UI design by Josh.)
- 11 Aug 2016
- Come Out & Play SF announces expanded programming for its 2016 season, including six days of free festival events and nine special ticketed events.
- 26 May 2016
- Floor Is Lava's Gamepost project has been selected to be a part of this year's Market Street Prototyping Festival.
- 12 Feb 2016
- Josh gave a lecture at the CSU East Bay Winter Game Jam on "Hybrid Forms of Play".
- 18 Sep 2015
- Josh presented some Games For An Evening Of Conversation as part of Come Out & Play SF 2015.
- 20 Jul 2015
- Stepball made an encore appearance at Come Out & Play NYC. Good times were had by all.
- 2 Jan 2015
- We're now working out of the Gamenest, a coworking and event space for indie game devs in San Francisco.
- 14 Sep 2014
- Stepball has been named an Official Selection for IndieCade 2014. It will be run at the festival the weekend of October 9-12.
- 21 Jul 2014
- Stepball was featured at the Come Out & Play festival on Governor's Island in New York, where it won the Best Sport award.
- 22 May 2014
- Osmo, an iPad accessory that enables tabletop computer vision-based gameplay, is available for preorder, shipping in Q3 of this year. The system features Newton, with design and development by Josh.
- 16 Feb 2014
- Josh gave a talk at IndieCade East, on learning to make games from magazines in the microcomputer era. The slides are posted on SlideShare.
- 11 Nov 2013
- Mime Boxing was featured at Come Out and Play SF 2013 over the weekend. The SF Bay Guardian describes the game as "a rowdy free-for-all of imaginary walls and temporary alliances," which is better than anything I could come up with.
- 15 Oct 2013
- Solar Surfing in Opti Space is available in the App Store for iPad and iPhone. Make beautiful music while flying your space pod around mysterious suns.
- 2 Aug 2013
- Voyage of the Starship Lexicon was featured at Casual Connect SF as part of the Indie Prize Showcase. Good times were had by all.
- 18 Jul 2013
- A new version of Voyage of the Starship Lexicon is now available for iPhone and iPad in the iTunes Store. This version features a new puzzle mode, and has extra levels available as in-app purchases. Go forth and make cool words!
- 13 May 2013
- Onnecheo is now out on Kongregate. Connect the dots to make shapes and solve puzzles.
- 27 Mar 2013
- Low Rollr is now available for Sifteo Cubes. Roll your cubes to score big points, or take special actions to mess with your opponents. If you're at GDC this week, you can play Low Rollr at Sifteo's booth.
- 07 Dec 2012
- Voyage of the Starship Lexicon is available on the Amazon Appstore for Kindle Fire. Make words in space by rotating tiles in the grid. Tour the solar system and challenge yourself on different planets that offer a wide variety of gameplay options.
- 06 Dec 2012
- Flaar Amaris is available on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. Flaar Amaris is a simple musical toy: tap the screen to make flowers bloom and chime. It is (hopefully) the first in a series.
- 23 Nov 2012
- The new Sifteo Cubes are out and shipping. Cube Buddies comes with the system.
- 07 Oct 2012
- Good times were had by all at IndieCade, and Chroma Shuffle was well received. Josh made a video about the game for the festival.
- 17 Sep 2012
- Josh gave a talk at the Game Design Conference in San Francisco, on designing for new user interfaces. You can check out the slides if you like: (SlideShare) (PDF)
- 30 Aug 2012
- Sifteo announces its next-gen Cubes, featuring Cube Buddies.
- 24 Aug 2012
- Chroma Shuffle is a finalist at IndieCade 2012!